• BGA COAT creates an interconnect between the BGA component and the PCB. The component is strongly attached on the PCB and the chances of mechanical damage (such as after a drop test) is practically eliminated.
• BGA COAT creates a coating around the solder balls of the component. The solder balls are protected from environmental effects such as humidity and oxidation and the chances of joint fracture is limited. Also the phenomenon of tin whisker growth is limited and the flow of solder from one joint to another.
• BGA COAT has good thermal conductivity (higher than most thermal pads and thermal pastes). This results in equalizing the temperature in the base of the BGA component eliminating the chances of a problem because of partially overheating of the component. It can also create a direct connection between the base of the BGA component and the system’s heat-sink. This way the temperature of the base of the BGA is reduced significantly.
• BGA COAT while it cures absorbs all the humidity that could be located under the component and around the solder balls. This way the solder balls are coated in a dry and well protected environment.
• BGA COAT can be applied very easily by using only a spatula that is provided. Packaging includes everything that is needed for up to 100 repairs (packet contains enough material to produce around 70ml of BGA COAT. Most BGA components require around 0.5ml of BGA COAT to be placed under them).
• BGA COAT can keep its form and size for temperatures up to 250 degrees (Celsius).
BGA COAT creates an interconnection between the BGA component and the PCB, plus a coating around the solder balls of the component. This product is now offered for use on repairs (reballing or reflow of GPU and other BGA components) of commercial electronics such as laptops, gaming consoles etc.
BGA COAT compared to EPOXY adhesives that are used as under fills has the following advantages
1. It is non EPOXY and non toxic.
2. It can be applied without mechanical means by using only a spatula (provided in the packet)
3. It is commercially available for use in small workshops (EPOXY adhesives for under filling are available for industrial use only)
4. It has good thermal conductivity (higher than most thermal pads and thermal pastes). This results in equalizing the temperature in the base of the BGA component eliminating the chances of a problem because of partially overheating of the component.
Mix Binder A with Filler B at a ratio of 2:1 (i.e. 1 ml Filler B with 2 ml Binder A ). Using the spatula provided stir well for about 2 minutes until all Filler B is dissolved into Binder A. Gap between BGA component and PCB should be clean (if BGA has been reworked then there should be no signs of flux. Rework with nitrogen is suggested). Keep the PCB in a vertical position. Using the spatula feed slowly the mixture into a BGA/PCB gap until all feed disappears into the gap. Continue feeding until mixture appears at the other end. Now keep the PCB horizontal making sure that the mixture arrears on all gaps. Wait for about 30 minutes and wipe all mixture located outside of the gaps making sure that air can get to the edges of the gap. Mixture needs 48 hours to cure. Store the PCB in a well ventilated area for 48 hours before installing any other component on it (heat sink etc) or placing it back to the system that it comes from. Attention! No electrical power should be applied on the PCB during the first 48 hours. When in liquid form, mixture is electrically conductive and permanent damage could be caused.
2 X 25ml (50ml in total) of liquid Binder A
1 X 25g of powder Filler B
1 X dispenser with measure indications (ml)
1 X spatula
1 X container box where the product should be stored
Tools used for mixing and applying the coating can be cleaned with cleaning tissue paper before setting begins. After hardening, they can only be cleaned by mechanical means.
Storage Packing and Precautions
12 months in unopened packing. 3 months in closed packing after opening.
This product is designed for professional use ONLY. It should be used only by technicians with experience on BGA component rework.
Must not come into contact with materials like pure Fe or Fe-free metals during storage. Protect from frost. Use protective gloves when mixing, eyes protection, and take usual precautions when handling chemical products like ventilation. The user is responsible for any improper use of the product.